True Made "Let's Get Sloppy" Joes
You probably remember Sloppy Joes as a somewhat scary elementary school cafeteria staple. But whether you feel nostalgia for these messy cousins of the standard burger or you stay up at night worried about what was really in that meat...don't worry, we have a recipe here that will reset all preconceptions and have you "getting sloppy" all year round.
We revamped this American comfort food True Made Foods style. So now you can rest comfortably, knowing this Sloppy Joe recipe is much healthier.
A quick, healthy Sloppy Joe that will make you feel like you're in lunch lady land!
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef. For best flavor results use 80-20. If you're counting calories, use 90-10. And, if you're super dedicated, go for bison meat!
- 1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup + 1 TBS True Made Foods Ketchup
- 1/2 cup tuscan kale, pureed in a cuisinart or blender
- ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2xTBS olive or avocado oil
- 4 kaiser rolls
- Natural dill pickle slices and romaine lettuce leaves for toppings
- Heat a medium high-walled pan over medium-high heat, coat with oil and then add the salt.
- Once the oil starts to waft slightly, add the onions and sauté until they start to become translucent
- Add the garlic, kale and tomatoes, stir regularly, until everything has blended thoroughly
- Lower the heat and keep on a simmer, add water as needed
- Heat a second medium skillet, coat with oil and salt and add the meat, stirring consistently and breaking up the meat
- Only sear the meat, cook until there is a just a little bit of pink left,
- Add the ketchup to the meat and mix thoroughly
- Mix the contents of both pans together, mix thoroughly, then cover and simmer for another 20-30 min
- Make sure meat is cooked all the way through before removing
- Serve on rolls and add the lettuce and pickle slices for garnish
Photo and Original Recipe by Cooking Emily